May Facebook Live with Dean Einstein
Dean Einstein and Imani Wimberly, Assistant Director of Housing & Residence Life, answered questions about the housing application, move-in and roommate selection. Watch the entire video and check out tips about how to make the most of living on campus.
It truly doesn't make a difference whether you complete your housing survey on the first or last day the application is open. Our system will assign everyone a random time slot for housing selection after the housing application closes. If you already know who you want to room with, you'll create a roommate group so you can all get the same time slot.
Answer the housing survey honestly.
It's important to answer questions on the housing survey honestly, especially if you don't have a roommate coming into TCU. It helps us match you with a roommate similar habits and lifestyle, minimizing conflicts down the road.
Matched roommates have great experiences!
While many students find their own roommate through current friends or on social media, we have plenty of students who are matched with a roommate. We don't see significantly different outcomes for students, whether they're assigned a roommate or find one. Our housing staff work very intentionally to make sure you can build community in your hall and set boundaries and expectations with your roommate to have the best experience possible living on campus.
You'll select your exact residence hall and room.
When your time slot for housing selection opens, you'll select the exact residence hall you want to live in as well as the room you want, assuming it's available. Find all of our residence halls and more helpful info on the Housing & Residence Life website. If you don't have a roommate and someone's in the room you want, you'll be able to see how good of a match they are and see how they answered their housing survey so you can make an informed decision.
- My daughter does not have a roommate yet. If she completes the housing application can she add a roommate later? - 8:43
- Does completing the info on housing portal sooner get you a better room? - 13:21
- If I know who I want to room with, how does room selection work? - 14:21
- What if you're in a group but one of you is not available during the time slot? 16:06
- Is housing available for transfer students? - 16:50
- Are upperclassmen housed together? - 17:59
- What makes TCU residence halls distinctive? - 19:21
- How does move-in work for students who have on-campus activities in August? - 21:10
- Can you explain the housing process for honors students? - 22:54
- If you live locally, are you required or encouraged to live on campus? - 24:58
- Can students live on campus beyond their sophomore year? - 27:06
- Can I bring an extra mini fridge on campus? What about a fan? - 28:30
- What are pros and cons of living in a traditional versus suite style room? - 30:00
- Are particular halls for first-year students or women only? - 31:24
- If you go random, when will you know who your roommate is? - 32:16
- Can out-of-state students ship items to campus ahead of time? - 33:32
- Do all rooms have air conditioning? - 34:31
- How do Frog Bucks and the dining plans work? - 35:34
- How is community built in the residence halls? - 37:50
- Do students participating in Greek Life live in specific halls? - 41:41
- Can you describe how move-in day will unfold? - 43:39
- Can first-year students bring their cars to campus? - 46:58
- Do students have to re-apply for sophomore housing? - 48:18
- What happens if there are no more quad rooms left by the time of your housing selection? - 49:20
- How many students or groups are assigned to one time slot? - 51:32
- How likely are first-year students to get a suite? - 52:52
- Are first-year students allowed to live with sophomores? - 54:17
- What happens if you have a slot and it's different from your roommate's slot? - 55:02
- When will you know your time slot? - 55:55
- Once you have an assigned mailbox, will that change from year to year? - 56:32
- Do you pay extra for a suite style hall if you have a special accommodation? - 57:04
- What if you are at orientation on June 25 during housing selection? - 57:55
- What is the policy if a student tests positive for COVID while living in a residence hall? - 58:57
- What advice would you give to students coming to TCU this fall? - 59:53
- What should prospective students think about when looking at residence life on college campuses? - 1:01:48